What is the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)?
NDIS is a support scheme valid across the Australian territory that provides support to people with disabilities of all kinds, including physical, intellectual, motor, and sensory. With an intent to empower all the participants, NDIS offers several support services to not only help them lead a comfortable life under expert care but also take measures to build capacity, enabling them to live as independently as possible while fulfilling their individual goals. The support provided by NDIS is holistic and you can opt for the services that best cater to your needs.
1. N – National
NDIS is valid and running across all Australian states and territories.
2. D – Disability
People with disabilities of any kind can avail the various services offered by the National Disability Insurance Scheme.
3. I – Insurance
NDIS through its various services offers insurance that you or your loved one in need won’t suffer in the absence of proper care and support.
4. S – Scheme
NDIS should not be mistaken for a support system. It is a well-structured scheme that promotes individual growth while providing the support that one might need in their journey.
What are the Support Services Provided Under NDIS.
With an intention to offer care and build capacity in all participants, NDIS offers a wide range of services. These services target individual aspects of a person’s life to ensure their overall well-being and growth. The different categories that NDIS covers include:
- 1. Assistance with Daily Life
- 2. Transport
- 3. Consumables
- 4. Assistance with Social & Community Participation
- 5. Assistive Technology
- 6. Home Modifications
- 7. Coordination of Supports
- 8. Improved Living Arrangements
- 9. Increased Social and Community Participation
- 10. Finding and Keeping a Job
- 11. Improved Relationships
- 12. Improved Health and Wellbeing
- 13. Improved Learning
- 14. Improved Life Choices
- 15. Improved Daily Living
What is the NDIS Participant Service Charter?
The NDIS follows several principles and ensures that every service that they offer is in accordance with these principles. Through every service that the scheme offers, it tries to be:
NDIS aims to be completely transparent about the services that they offer. It ensures that all eligible participants are first aware and then have access to every service that could benefit them.
NDIS is responsive towards all its participants and customizes its services in accordance with their needs and goals.
With NDIS, you will have complete say over your own life, and at no point your freedom to live your life be curtailed.
NDIS aims to build capacity in all individuals to help them lead an autonomous life while giving importance to their personal growth and development.
NDIS will act as an intermediary that will connect you to all the services that you need to ensure a smooth flow of your everyday life.
What is the Eligibility Criteria for NDIS?
While the National Disability Insurance Scheme can be availed by every Australian citizen in need, there are some criteria that you need to fulfill in order to participate in this scheme. The basic eligibility criteria for NDIS is:
- 1. You must be aged between 7 to 65 years at the time of application. Children below the age of 7 are covered under the early childhood approach.
- 2. Must be an Australian resident.
Have Australian citizenship.
Be a permanent resident of Australia.
Have a Protected Special Category Visa.
- 3. You need to have a disability that hinders the everyday proper functioning of your life.
- 4. Provide proof that the scheme would help prevent, reduce or alleviate the impact of your disability on your everyday life.
How to apply for NDIS?
NDIS can have a huge impact on the life of any person with special needs. So, if you have disabilities of any kind, availing them would ensure your well-being and help you lead a quality life where your safety, aspirations, and dreams won’t be compromised. To help you avail this scheme, here is a step-by-step process as to how you can apply for it.
What all information/documents do you need to provide?
- 1. Personal information including name, age, place of residence, and proof of nationality. You need to provide corresponding documents for all of them.
- 2. Details and evidence corresponding to your disability and how it impacts the everyday functioning of your life.
- 3. Medical reports.
- 4. NDIS might send you a letter asking for any further clarifications. In that case, your health professional would need to complete the Supporting Evidence Form available at ndis.gov.au.
- 5. Send your evidence to the NDIS via:
mail: GPO Box 700, Canberra, ACT 2601
Offline: Local Office of your area.
What is the application procedure for NDIS?
- 1. You will begin by applying for the scheme and providing all the necessary documents corresponding to your application.
- 2. Within the designated time frame, an NDIS expert would consider your application and check your eligibility. In case your application is lacking some necessary information, you will be contacted by them and asked to provide the information.
- 3. The NDIS will then provide you with an “access decision” that will determine your eligibility to participate in the scheme and grant approval.
- 4. Once your application is approved, a meeting will be arranged where your needs and the kind of support you require would be discussed.
- 5. In case you disagree with the decision of NDIS, you can apply for a review by the Administrative Appeal’s Tribunal (AAT).
Contact no.: 1800 228 333
You can always reapply for the scheme whenever you think you meet the eligibility requirements.
What all supports are funded by the NDIS?
To ensure your overall well-being, NDIS will provide funded assistance for diverse activities including:
- 1. Daily personal activities.
- 2. Transportation to enable participation in communal, social, and economic activities.
- 3. Workplace assistance to ensure that the professional goals of the participants are not compromised at any point.
- 4. Proper facilities for behavior support.
- 5. Help with household tasks to allow the proper functioning of the participant’s household.
- 6. Home modification design and construction.
- 7. Mobility equipment.
- 8. Vehicle modifications.
That covers all that you need to know about NDIS. As trusted NDIS providers we aim to take forward the goal of NDIS and provide you with an environment where you would be cared for and given ample opportunities for growth. In case you need any assistance regarding the NDIS program, you can contact us and our support workers would be there to guide you through it all.